Waffles: Like Pancakes Only Better!
We have a special Friday Feast today – a recipe for Chocolate Peanut Almond waffles from Jason of Cook Train Eat Race!
If you are following me on any of the social media then you know that I can go on a waffle streak. I have gone 3 weeks straight with at least one meal consisting of waffles, and they aren’t always for breakfast, nor are they always sweet. You can make savory waffles and enjoy them for brunch of for dinner.
When people ask me why I enjoy waffles so much my canned response is: Waffles are like pancakes only better because they have squares to hold the honey. This typically elicits a hearty laugh. While that may be true it isn’t the only reason I consume waffles after my workouts. There is a certifiable reason and that is because the waffles I make consist of a 3:1 or 4:1 Carb:Protein ratio (depending on what is inside of them) which has been proven to be the proper ratio for maximum recovery.
The recipe below for chocolate peanut-almond waffles along with the fruit yields 105g of carbohydrates and 27g of protein, which is 4:1. If you are eating within 30 minutes to 1 hour of finishing and have this ideal ratio in your food then your recovery will be best for you. Why is recovery important? It allows you to get back out the next day to continue to train and build fitness. Many people ignore this key component to training but after you try these waffles you will not skip a recovery meal again.
Ingredients: 1 egg, 1/2c garbanzo flour, 1/4c+1 Tbsp coconut milk, 0.5oz peanuts, 0.5oz almonds, 1 Tbsp Honey, 0.6oz 88% Dark Chocolate, 15g blueberries, 1 small kiwi, 1 medium banana
Calories: 781 calories, 105g Carbohydrates, 34g Fat, 27g Protein, 21g Fiber
- In a bowl whisk together egg, flour and 1/4c coconut milk. Set aside.
- In a ziploc bag add nuts and crush with a can then add to batter and combine well.
- Chop chocolate into chunks and with a spoon combine so as not to break up chocolate.
- Pre-heat waffle maker per manufacturer’s directions.
- While waffle maker is heating up slice banana and kiwi.
- Once waffle maker is ready pour batter and allow to cook until steam no longer exists.
- Plate waffles with fruit and drizzle honey over the top.