Turkey Day Training
It’s Thanksgiving week here in the US, and as this is a food-based holiday, why not get in a little extra burn this week before the big day.
Here are swim, bike, and run workouts for you this week!
Turkey Stuffing Swim
- 1×300-400 easy/mixed strokes
- 4×50 drill/swim (your choice drill) [15s rest]
- 4×75 #1,3 steady and smooth, #2, #4 build (gradually get faster across the 75) [20s rest]
- 4×50 descend 1-4 (make each 50 faster) [20s rest]
- 1×100 easy
- 1×400 build [30-45s rest]
- 1×300 middle 100 fast [30-40s rest]
- 1×200 first and last 50 fast [20-30s rest]
- 1×100 fast, last 25 sprint!
- 1min rest
- 1×200 smooth and steady [30s rest]
- 4×75 odds easy, evens build [20s rest]
- 4×50 descend 1-4 [15-20s rest]
- 4×25 all out [30s rest]
- 1×200 smooth and steady
- 1×200-300 easy/mixed
Chase the Turkey Bike
If you don’t us power or have your LT/FTP power, then just use rate of perceived exertion. If you use HR zones, you’ll probably get into Z4 or Z5 in the main set, Z3 at the end of the warm-up.
- 15 minutes starting with easy pedaling, 60% LT power building to about 75%, RPE 4-5.
- 3min at 80% LT (RPE 5+), 2min easy
- 3min at 85% LT (RPE 6), 2min easy
- 3min at 90% LT (RPE 6+), 2min easy
- 5min at 60-70% LT (get ready for the work!)
- 3x8min as [2.5min 95% LT power (RPE 7), 30s 110-120% LT power (RPE 8+), 2.5min 95% LT power (RPE 7), 30s 110-120% LT power (RPE 8+), 2min 95% LT power (RPE 7)]
- 4min very easy (<60% LT power, RPE 3) between sets for recovery
- 10+ minutes of easy spinning
Run for the Pie!
10min easy running to warm up
5min build to aerobic pace
5min aerobic pace (RPE 5)
4x20sec accelerations with ~40s easy/walk in between
Repeat 3-5 times:
20s hill sprint immediately into 4min at 10k pace.
(if you don’t have a hill just sprint!)
2-3min easy between efforts
10+ minutes of very easy running
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
By the way…
These plans are similar to the ones I write for my clients–if you want your own customized training plan to keep you in shape for the off season, let me know and I’ll get back with you quickly. These plans are normally $25/week, but if you buy an 8 or 12-week plan I’ll give you one week free! Contact me today or fill in the form below and get your own custom training plan!