Race Day Essentials
Race mornings are stressful enough, so it’s important to be prepared. As the saying goes, expect the unexpected. So I recommend putting together a small kit of must-haves for your race bag or car. You can keep these items in a plastic bin or big ziploc bag so they are available when you need them! Many of these items can be purchased in the travel section of your major retailers (i.e. Target) or grocery store.
- Extra pair of goggles In case your first pair breaks.
- Extra swim cap To put under the race cap if water is cold.
- Spare tube Not the one(s) you are carrying on your bike. In the rare chance you were to flat race morning, you wouldn’t want to use your spare tube that you might need on the course.
- Rubber bands Extra for your bike shoes. They can also serve as emergency hair-ties!
- Bodyglide/aquaphor/other lubricant Don’t want to leave home without this!
- Suntan lotion Don’t forget to reapply after the race!
- Sharpie In case your body marking needs some touch-ups.
- Electrical tape To tape your gels to your top tube.
- Clear tape For your bike race number if the adhesive doesn’t stick well.
- Tissues/toilet paper In case those port-o-potties run out…
- Antibacterial wipes or gel See above.
- Small first-aid kit For the small issues that don’t need the medical tent staff.
- Head lamp or small flash light Sometimes it’s still dark when you are heading to transition.
- Deodorant You might be able to wash off some sweat by heading back into the water, but deodorant is always nice to have. Your friend and family will appreciate this one.
Some other good things to have not mentioned in the video:
- Extra bar end plugs This is the plastic cap on your handle bars. Sometimes they fall off, and you aren’t allowed to race without them.
- Scissors To cut the tape.
You might have your own list of Race Day Essentials. What do you make sure you have at every race?
Coach Nicole is the founder and head coach for NEO Endurance Sports & Fitness, a Colorado-based endurance sport coaching company. She is a USAT Level 1 Certified Coach and also coaches triathlon for Team In Training. Please visit http://neoendurancesports.com to learn more about how Coach Nicole can help you with your race day preparation.