Friday Feast – Sweet Potato & Asparagus
When I go shopping, I try to get at least one fruit or vegetable that I haven’t had in a while so as not to stay in the same food rut. Last weekend I picked up some asparagus and hadn’t cooked it yet, so during the day I was thinking about how I would use it. I also had a key workout in the evening (1:45 run with 7x6min hill repeats) so I knew I needed quality nutrition for dinner. My mind went through what I had in stock, and I remember I had a couple sweet potatoes I could use. Then I hit up trusty Google for inspiration. Searching for sweet potato and asparagus I found some sweet potato & asparagus salad recipes. Simple is key for me, so I just used the pictures from the search to guide my meal. I ended up with sweet potato & asparagus with tempeh over an amaranth-quinoa blend.
- 1 sweet potato chopped into chunks, then microwaved to cook quickly.
- 1/4 c. amaranth with 1/4 c. quinoa cooked on the stove in water, with a little garlic added at the end.
- Asparagus spears (half the bunch) cut into ~2″ pieces, lightly sauteed in coconut oil and 1 clove of garlic.
- 1/3 package Spicy Veggie Tempeh, which adds a nice seasoning kick and protein.
- Then added the sweet potatoes to the pan to heat everything together.
- Salt to taste (after dripping sweat for almost 2 hours on a treadmill, a little salt was welcome!)
Here’s the mix in the pan:
And what it looked like on my plate:
For dessert I had a glass of Silk Dark Chocolate almond milk. That is a delicious chocolaty treat!
What kind of meal have you put together recently with a “new” fruit or vegetable?