Did I Stick to the Plan?

Did I Stick to the Plan?

Last night I had a quick post about my race plan. Today was the race so let’s see how well I did sticking to the plan!

I did lay my clothes out, foam roll and I was in bed by 10:30 as I wanted to be. I slept pretty well, waking up a few times, as is typical the night before a race!

My alarm went off at 7am and I got up and got stuff around as planned. Breakfast was a banana with some yogurt and a little granola, and a bit of peanut butter. I drank at least 18oz of water. My morning routine was pretty simple, just making sure I was dressed, had my nutrition and hydration, and my post-race clothes. I headed out just after 8:30am, drinking my Generation UCAN smoothie on my drive as planned. I got to the Plaza of the Rockies parking garage (after winding around some streets due to closures for the race!) and within a few minutes I had my race number. I chatted with some Pikes Peak Tri Club members who were also running, and also ran into a few Team In Training athletes. Packet pick-up was indoors, which made it very comfortable! No complaints on indoor restrooms before a race as well.

I did a few dynamic warm-ups inside, and then about 10 minutes before the start I headed out for a quick jog warm-up with Nate from the Tri Club. Local races are a lot of fun because there are a lot of friendly and familiar faces out there.

At 10am the whistle blew and we were off! My goal was to get to as close to a 8:00 min/mile pace for my 5 minute run segments and then walk. And that’s what I did. I probably started off a bit too fast (the downhill start didn’t help that). 20 “intervals” of 5 min walk and 30s. I sipped at my bottle (filled with Tri-Berry Nuun) and got water at a couple of the aid stations.  I had half a gel with around 3.5 miles to go. I hit the finish line at 1:50:31, average pace, 8:24 minutes per mile. My 5 minute run segments ranged from 7:53-8:26 paces. My target was 8:00-8:15 paces. So I’d have to say it was a success, as I was only a little more than 2 minutes over my half-marathon PR, a race for which I trained a lot more!

See the splits here on Garmin Connect. Here’s the GPS file on TrainingPeaks.

My post-race events went mostly to plan, though a slight deviation. The gear check wasn’t at the finish, so I had to walk a few blocks to Jack Quinn’s to get my jacket, which had my car key. Then I had to go back to my car in a garage a block away, grab my dry clothes and walk back to Jack Quinn’s to change. But once in my compression tights (under my jeans) and some snacks in my belly I was quite happy. The post-race celebration was a nice social with some Tri Club members (two of whom PR’d significantly) and some friends and a $5 JQ breakfast plate of eggs, toast, potatoes, and bacon along with a $3 pint of Odell’s 5 Barrel Pale Ale.

So a little bit of race-day planning made for a successful day! For more details on the race, check out my full race report.

Did you race this weekend? How did it go?

Facebook Twitter Email Plusone Linkedin
Nicole Odell



Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.