All Aboard Chili
Team NEO athlete Rodney Buike has experimented with plant-based eating and was kind enough to share one of his recipes with us.
Blog post on my Plant Based experiment – http://barefoottriathlete.
All Aboard Chili Recipe
By July 5, 2013Published:
- Yield: 10 Servings
Plant-based chili that you can modify to suit your taste. Approximate nutritional content: 10 servings of 250 calories, 35g carb, 11g Protein (the Tempeh version), 3g fat and 12g fiber.
- 1 20oz can Crushed tomatoes
- 1 20oz can Diced tomatoes
- 1 16oz can Kidney beans
- 1 16oz can Black Beans
- 1 cup Corn
- 1 cup brown rice uncooked
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced, fresh
- 2 Carrots sliced
- 1 Red Onion diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed, fresh
- 3 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Chipotle chili powder optional
- 1 package (100g) Tempeh plain, crumbles
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Date sweetener or other sweetener
- Hot sauce to taste
- I've never made this the same way twice and for the vegetables anything goes. If you add too many vegetables and it is too chunky you can thin it out with some vegetable broth or water. Heat the oil and lightly sauté the onion, rice and carrots. Add the garlic and stir for a minute. Starting at the top of the list dump each remaining ingredient with the exception of the sugar and hot sauce. Simmer until the rice is cooked.
Add the hot sauce and/or sugar to taste. Hot sauce will kick it up to your comfort level, sugar will smooth out the flavour 🙂 You may also want to add some salt and/or pepper to taste, especially if you are not using canned goods.